10 April 2014

Navjot Singh Sidhu On Swami Vivekananda

Navjot Singh Sidhu (Punjabi: ਨਵਜੋਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਿੱਧੂ, born 20 October 1963) is a former Indian cricketer and currently a politician and a Member of Parliament. Sidhu told, the works of Swami Vivekananda transformed his life. In this article you'll find Navjot Singh Sidhu's comments on Swami Vivekananda.

Sidhu speaks—
Image source: Wikimedia Commons

Oye guru,1


Only in the year 1998, when I left cricket, in the last phase, that I stumbled across Swami Vivekananda's books. The first volume transformed my life. It was a metamorphosis. A catharsis. It completely revolutionised my life. It changed my perspective. I became a believer. That belief converted me into an achiever. Today there is nothing impossible for me. From 1999 onwards, you saw a different Sidhu. The latent energy that was lying inside just flowered and blossomed.[Source]

I was never comfortable facing people. A chance reading of "The Works of Swami Vivekananda" in my father's library changed my life. I am a Shiv bhakt and I meditate daily. I recite the Gayatri mantra and Mritunjaya japa. I have been meditating since 1998.[Source]

Religion came later. I never used to understand the Gurbani when I read it so I used to read the Punjabi Tarjuman. But by chance, from my father’s library which had thousands of books, I got of hold of the The Eight Works Of Swami Vivekananda that has eight volumes. That turned my life on its head. I started breathing. I did breathing exercises and purified the body. I would meditate for hours early in the morning.[Source]



Footnotes

  1. Navjot Singh Sidhu did not use the phrase Oye guru in his comments. It has been added here because it is considered humorous. Please do not take it seriously..


This page was last updated on: 10 April 2014, 2:56 am IST (UTC+5:30 hours)
Number of revisions in this page: 1

1 comment:

Comment policy