15 May 2014

Swami Vivekananda On His Father Vishwanath Datta

In this website, we prepared a biography of  Vishwanath Datta, now we'll make a collection of Swami Vivekananda's quotes and comments on his father Vishwanath Datta.

Swami Vivekananda on his father Vishwanath Datta
Swami Vivekananda standing
Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Swami Vivekananda told—
  • According to the Hindu mind, is the great mission of woman -- to become a mother. But oh, how different! Oh, how different! My father and mother fasted and prayed, for years and years, so that I would be born. They pray for every child before it is born.[Source]
  • After the death of my father I gave myself up to travelling in India and started a little monastery in Calcutta. During my travels, I came to Madras, where I received help from the Maharaja of Mysore and the Raja of Ramnad.[Source]
  • At my birth my father had a horoscope taken of my life, but would never tell me what it was. Some years ago when I visited my home, my father having died, I came across the chart among some papers in my mother's possession and saw from it that I was destined to become a wanderer on the face of the earth.[Source]
  • I do not like any one whom I love to become a lawyer, although my father was one.[Source]
  • It is a fact that some Hindus marry very young. Others marry when they have attained a fair age and some do not marry at all. My grandfather was married when quite a child. My father when he was 14 years old and I am 30 years old and am not yet married. (from a news report published in Daily Eagle, 27 February 1895)[Source]
  • . . . Then came a terrible time -- for me personally and for all the other boys as well. But to me came such misfortune! On the one side was my mother, my brothers. My father died at that time, and we were left poor. Oh, very poor, almost starving all the time! I was the only hope of the family, the only one who could do anything to help them. I had to stand between my two worlds. On the one hand, I would have to see my mother and brothers starve unto death; on the other, I had believed that this man's ideas were for the good of India and the world, and had to be preached and worked out. And so the fight went on in my mind for days and months. Sometimes I would pray for five or six days and nights together without stopping. Oh, the agony of those days! I was living in hell! The natural affections of my boy's heart drawing me to my family -- i could not bear to see those who were the nearest and dearest to me suffering. On the other hand, nobody to sympathise with me. Who would sympathise with the imaginations of a boy -- imaginations that caused so much suffering to others? Who would sympathise with me? None -- except one.[Source]
  • When my father died, it was a pang for months. . . [Source]

See also


Do you like this article? Please post your feedback.

This page was last updated on: 15 May 2014, 9:42 pm IST (UTC+5:30 hours)
Number of revisions in this page:1

1 comment:

Comment policy